Toni's Reviews > Wet Grave

Wet Grave by Barbara Hambly

Oct 14, 2011

The title of Barbara Hambly's novel comes from the expression that "White men come to Louisiana seeking treasure and find a wet grave." (This is paraphrased.)

Once again, Barbara Hambly draws on history to create factual episodes, atmospheric scenes, and bring to life colorful characters, and as usual, the story is fascinating. I enjoyed it all--up to a point. One character introduced was so delightful and captivating that when he was very abruptly and unexpectedly killed I stopped reading right there. This isn't a criticism of Ms. Hambly's writing, but rather, a credit to it, that she could create a character who would, in such a brief expanse of chapters, capture my interest so. I won't spoil the story by saying more about the murder, except to comment though the actual death isn't depicted and is recreated only during Benjamin's ongoing investigation, his grief and thoughts are as authentic as anyone's reaction to a sudden death could be. I did read the last chapter before setting the book aside, to determine how it ended. Suffice it to say all the tangled skeins were sorted out and all led to one source. The guilty were punished and the ending was bittersweet and Benjamin came away with the sad victory that his friend had been avenged and his own life was a changed for the better.

Wet Grave is the third novel in the Benjamin January series that I have read. If you want an authentic feel to your historical mysteries and an entertaining story, try this one. The usual cast of characters is there, still complex, still evolving, and getting better
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wet Grave.