Tayler Morrell's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: english-420
Read in October, 2011

Although this was one of the authors I was required to read, the title and the cover of this realistic fiction really intrigued me.

Lia deals with falling back into her anorexic and self-punishing habits after she learns that her old friend Cassie died.

This is very poetically written--the style of it reminds me of The Book Thief. Half of it is narrative, half of it is stream of thought--very intriguing. Just the style of the writing itself makes the book worth reading.

In ninth grade, I read a book about an anorexic girl who ended up in rehab--I can't remember the title of it, but I thought it did a good job describing the thought process of those with eating disorders. However, Anderson does it so much better. I now feel like I understand why anorexic girls do what they do.

The funny thing is, when I was reading this, I was getting over food poisoning...so all I had eaten in the past 24 hours was an apple, one water bottle, and 2 pieces of toast. I just didn't have an appetite. However, I was about to go to bed on the second day of no appetite--the queasiness was gone, but I still didn't feel like eating anything. While reading this book and seeing Lia not wanting to eat and furiously obsessed with counting calories, I went to my kitchen (not hungry) and grabbed the pretzels and hummus and another water bottle.

I would recommend this to probably 7th or maybe 8th grade and higher. Girls would probably be way more interested in this than girls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.