Shelbi's Reviews > Katherine

Aug 10, 09

bookshelves: favorite-books-of-all-time, books-worth-re-reading
Recommended to Shelbi by: Steph, Amy
Read in July, 2008

In keeping with my Barnes and Noble binge, I also bought this wonderful book. But I am so mad that it doesn't have a family tree in the front!! I may have to photocopy it from someone.

This book is amazing. I had my doubts when I first picked up my borrowed worn out copy, but hearing Steph and Amy rave about it finally piqued my interest.

It is a book of adventure, romance and suspense. If you do happen to pick it up, it starts off a little slow, but I strongly urge you to keep with it. This is probably one of the best books I have read in about a year. And that's saying something.

One of the biggest things going for the book is John of Gaunt, Katherine's love interest. For those of you who have read Twilight, he is a rival of Edward's, at least in my mind. The best part is that John was a real person! This book takes you through Katherine's adventurous life. She starts off as a naive 15 year old from a convent and by the end of the book, her posterity is well on its way of becoming the future royalty of England.

I love this time period. I realized that it is the same of that from "A Knight's Tale," and reading about Chaucer and other historical figures made this book all the better. It has also made me seriously regret not taking Euro History.

It had a great ending. I just wish there was more. *Sigh*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katherine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sally Linford Yes, hold out! By the end, when you're simultaneously crying and exulting, and your husband just can't take another minute of your unavailability,and he tells you, "Please just go somewhere and put us all out of your misery." . . .

You'll be so glad you stuck with it.

Oh, wait . . . I guess that was me.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy You have so much more to enjoy before the fire. But I have to talk to you when you get there. This book was LIFE CHANGING for me. Extreme I know, but it happens to be true. This is an Amy Martinsen Recommendation. She has never failed me. If you haven't met her on goodreads yet, you should introduce yourself.

Shelbi Hahaha...
I already am glad.
But I have to say, your comment is totally getting me motivated to read as fast as possible!
Thanks, Sally.

Shelbi I think I will. Are you related to her?
Life changing, eh? I guess we'll see... For one it is a written a LOT better than Twilight (haha... if that even made sense)

Carol Sally, that was hilarious.

Amy, I was there! That was a great book club we had when you lived here. I loved it when we reviewed this book at Amy M's house and she recreated the ambiance of Katherine with dim lights, pillar candles and platters overflowing with grapes. Remember that?

What a great book. I should read it again.

Sally Linford Okay, Carol, way to shame us with the html italics--the rest of us have slap down book title after book title in plain old text. It's so undignified.

Tara A rival of Edward? Your review single-handedly sold me. Thanks!

Stephanie Lofgreen I will definitely let you photocopy the family tree. Friday.

Rosie Brocklehurst What a shame you did not get a family tree in your copy.My old UK edition has one. I fell in love with this book when I was 15 and I am now 61, and re read it two years ago. It almost stood the test of time , but I read it and re read it in my teens.