Tess's Reviews > The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf

Mar 07, 13

Read from October 14, 2011 to March 07, 2013

I'm on the fence about this one. First feminist manifesto I've read, and I can see why I've avoided them. It's dangerous to go black and white conspiracy theory when most of us are trailblazing through endless shades of gray. Being a little girl in the 70's, I do feel lucky that I had very few "images" imposed on me of what it meant to be a girl/woman. It made a big difference in forming my concept of myself. I don't pay any attention to women's magazines and find it hard to believe that in a capitalist society women would be such mindless prey to these advertisers. Although, the image is pervasive, and it worries me how it grabs hold of girls at such a young age. Worries me even more about the attention that draws from men.
I'm glad to have picked it up and look forward to hearing what Ms. Wolf has to say next week in Elmhurst. Mostly I feel so lucky that neither my boyfriend or I have fallen under this "spell." But, I believe that it is a reality.
I can't help but think that if she hadn't played so fast and loose and gone so far with the statistics, and if she wouldn't have made it a huge conspiracy theory, it would have actually carried MORE weight because it is definitely something that deserves analysis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beauty Myth.