Jon's Reviews > The Hunger Games Trilogy

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

Oct 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebooks, fiction, science-fiction, young-adult, dystopian, read-in-my-40s
Read from October 13 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I snagged this trilogy during an ebook sale in late September 2011. I had already read the first novel, the Hunger Games (click here for my review) in April 2010, and really hadn't planned on continuing. But the sale price was just too good to pass up.

I started Catching Fire on October 13th (no it wasn't a Friday) and should have it finished before the ides of October 2011. As promised, I finished reading the second novel on October 15th (click here for my review).

I started Mockingjay on October 20th and finished it on Sunday, the 23rd. For my thoughts on the final installment, please read my review found here.

Overall, I will rate this series three stars via GoodReads (since I gave the first and last books three stars and the middle book four stars), but 3.5 stars using my own rating system.

I really can't recommend this series to young adults (I would treat it like an R-rated movie for my own kids, were they still teenagers), due to the violence, gore and lack of inspiring elements. Katniss is not a character I would want my daughter to emulate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games Trilogy.

10/14/2011 page 265
32.0% "Starting second novel: Catching Fire"
10/14/2011 page 351
43.0% "Finished Part One: The Spark"
10/15/2011 page 446
54.0% "Finished Part Two: The Quell"
10/15/2011 page 533
65.0% "Finished Part Three: The Enemy and Book Two"
10/20/2011 page 534
65.0% "Starting Mockingjay"
10/21/2011 page 632
77.0% "Finished Part I: The Ashes"
10/21/2011 page 724
88.0% "Finished Part Two: The Assault"
10/23/2011 page 815
99.0% "Finished Part Three: The Assassin"
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Sometimes I liked this series, other times I hated it. I never loved it. Overall, it was utterly predictable.

message 1: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Villa loved this book. I also found it predictable