Sally's Reviews > The Wonder of Your Love

The Wonder of Your Love by Beth Wiseman

Oct 19, 11

bookshelves: amish, thomas-nelson-free-for-review, christian-fiction, proverbial-reads-review
Read from October 14 to 16, 2011

This is the second Land of Canaan novel. I read Seek Me With All Your Heart prior to this, and thought the characters were familiar. I then realized that readers first met the Stoltzfus family in Beth Wiseman's Daughters of Promise series. I'd read three of those books. To be honest, however, The Wonder of Your Love might be better read as a standalone. I was surprised to learn Katie was a widow; in the previous novel, her estranged husband was still alive. I spent the first couple of chapters wondering what had happened and felt that something was missing.

Wiseman's characters are vividly portrayed. My favorite is probably Martha, the lonely widow. At first, her manipulative character made her difficult to like, but Wiseman gradually let her true self shine through. Even though she isn't one of them, she is loved by her Amish friends who see through the façade and realize why she acts the way she does. She is written through the eyes of the Amish characters and, while she might seem outlandish to them, she really could be you or me. I wouldn't be surprised if the next book in the series focuses on the teenage girl Martha brings into her home.

I received my free copy of The Wonder of Your Love from Thomas Nelson in exchange for an honest review.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonder of Your Love.

10/14/2011 page 66