Jess's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 11: War and Pieces

Fables, Vol. 11 by Bill Willingham

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: fairy-tales-folklore-mythology, graphic-novels, read-in-2011, series
Read in October, 2011

All the war planning and maneuvering that has been building up in previous volumes finally comes to actual combat in Fables, Volume 11: War and Pieces. Like many of the other "big bads" in this series, the Adversary's troops are made so unthreatening that the concept of the Fables' losing never seems at all likely. The Fables make it through 95% of the battle without a single casualty with their unstoppable flying ship and modern weaponry, this doesn't exactly seem like a war as much as, well, an all out massacre. I know we're supposed to be on the Fables side, but when their enemy is presented as hopeless as it is here, all sense of narrative drama is completely lost. Eh. At least Boy Blue (my favourite!) gets to narrate the battle and takes a central role throughout. A Cinderella spy mission dominates a couple of issues as well, told in a visually different than other stories which added some variety to the mix.

It will be interesting to see where the series goes now that the Fables have so thoroughly defeated the Adversary and Geppetto has signed the Fabletown contract, forgiving him of previous crimes and allowing him to become a citizen of Fabletown.

(This probably should be a two-star book for me, but the any issue that features Boy Blue so heavily automatically gets an extra star tacked on. I just like him okay! Plus, his conversation with Stinky the Badger at the opening of this volume is some of the funniest dialogue written in this series.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 11.