Goldenwattle's Reviews > Death of an Expert Witness

Oct 14, 2011

liked it
Read in October, 2011

3 - 4 stars.
An enjoyable read, lots of descriptive detail in the writing. At times I wondered whether a bit too much, but couldn’t decide.
I was amused that someone in this very British detective book had a Ned Kelly painting on their house wall. The paintings obviously got around more than I imagined, but then, I’m not one to know about this.
The book was rather old fashioned, even I think by 1977 standards when it was published. I was around in those days myself. In the book women were referred to as girls. In one case a 30 years old “girl”. Also comments made as if it were strange for woman to wear “slacks”. In 1977 my friends and I wore jeans and trousers much of the time. P112: “Miss Easterbrook, but its advisable to call her Ms.” Oh, deary me, apart from the fact she is a scientist and therefore is likely to be Doctor, a tad quaint. Perhaps this old-fashioned attitude was more to do with the author’s age (she was born in 1920) than 1977.
After reading this book I now want to visit the East Anglia fens. They sound interesting – and flat – perfect for cycling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death of an Expert Witness.