Jennefer's Reviews > The Love Season

The Love Season by Elin Hilderbrand

3199532
Oct 14, 11

Read in October, 2011

Elin Hilderbrand's is one of my favorite authors! This being said, she doesn't disappoint in The Love Season. This novel takes place on the lovely Nantucket Island. The story spans only twenty-four hours, yet covers decades of information. In those twenty-four hours, the main characters Marguerite Beale and Renata Knox will face their past as well as each other.

The story introduces nineteen-year-old Renata Knox who hasn't seen her godmother, Marguerite Beale, since the death of her mother, Candace fourteen years earlier. Marguerite is a former chef and restaurant owner turned recluse and she hasn't cooked a meal for anyone since the death of her best friend.

Renata travels with her fiancée to Nantucket Island and rather than spend time with her soon-to-be in-laws, she defies her father's wishes, calls Marguerite and agrees to meet her over dinner the following night. As Marguerite prepares a meal for Renata she must step out of her self-imposed isolation and revisit the people and events of her past, all the time pondering what she will tell Renata about her mother and the tragedy that left Renata motherless. Renata yearns for contact and a connection with the woman who was her mother's best friend as she struggles with her life choices. Each woman has expectations for the dinner, but nothing turns out the way they had planned.

The Love Season is a beautiful, poignant, yet sad story of what was, what could have been and what is. The characters are complex and compelling, and the plot is riveting. Hilderbrand does a great job of intertwining the past and present lives of two women whose connection is being the best friend of one and the mother of the other. I enjoyed the continuous shift between the points of the two women Marguerite and Renata. That coupled with the flashbacks would have been more distracting and or complicated than they were in the hands of someone less gifted than Hilderbrand. Although I really liked this story and I wasn't ready for the story to end, I would have liked a little bit more development in regards to Cade (that is all I will say, I don't want to spoil the story). Happy Reading my friends!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love Season.