rainbow3's Reviews > Port Mortuary

Oct 13, 11

Read from September 14 to 17, 2011

Port Mortuary – Patricia Cornwell :: Friday, September 17, 2011 ISBN:
978-0-7515-4392-6

BOOK COVER: ‘Port Mortuary’ is literally a port to receive the dead – and the deaths are mounting.

Kay Scarpetta had been training at the Port Dover Mortuary, mastering a ground breaking forensic procedure. And it is not long before these new skills need to be put into practice. A young man drops dead, eerily close to Scarpetta’s home. When his body is examined, there are stunning indications that he may have been alive when he was locked inside the cooler.

When the revolutionary 3D radiology scans reveal internal injuries unlike any Scarpetta has ever seen, she realises that she is fighting a cunning and uniquely cruel enemy. Now it is a race against time to discover who and why before more people die…

Told for the first time in many years for the perspective of Kay Scarpetta herself – and unveiling secrets from her past that have never been revealed – this is a thrilling and compulsively readable tour-de-force.

‘A gripping read and made more chilling by Cornwall’s note that the technology she’s describing actually exists’ METRO
-----------------------------------------------------

I’d not touched on any of Patricia Cornwall’s work for ages as I had felt it at one point it had bogged down in formulaic style. Instead, this I found was a stormingly exciting read. A bookcrossing book gifting event I am delighted to say prompted me by to buy, read and pass this book on!

‘Port Mortuary’ has got a strange, almost restrained, screaming tension and claustrophobic feel built on a piecemeal delivery of disjointed information that made it unputdownable! Being fascinated by what I call why-done-its I appreciate the focus on the interrelationships of the protagonists. As though who is carrying out the murders is important to every story why they feel driven to do so is the key to the events actually talking place.

Wrapped up as I was, in Scarpetta’s thoughts of a horror early in her career, her feelings of inadequacy and vulnerability, while the approach to some unthinkable disaster happening in the institution she had set up loomed, the immediacy of the unfolding events seemed nearly overwhelming. The frustrations of realising those around her were withholding information was as unbearable to me, the reader, as it was to Scarpetta. Such brilliantly skewed plotting set a hectic pace and the truly scary nature of the technology described and the uses to which it can be put, chills thought. One of the plot threads here was terrorism and it was frighteningly ironic of course to note that, all the contributing factors to, and the most acute danger to the public here, as so often in life, was the home grown one!
Patricia CornwellPort Mortuary

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Port Mortuary.