Meg's Reviews > Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Brian K. Vaughan

May 28, 2008

bookshelves: comics-or-graphic-novels
Read in May, 2008

I always really liked Faith and also I like a lot of the BKV stuff I've read, so, I had plenty of pro-bias on this book. To be honest though, the best part was not Faith! It was Giles, for sure. I think I have been waiting for him to really find his niche since I don't know season 6, and I think this arc treated him properly. I like Giles best when his dark past is invoked, and I think that this combined with Ethan's role in the last trade is good news all around.

Also, as in the last trade, the stand-alone issue at the end was my favorite part. It's a complicated story told in a complicated way about a complicated feeling, and I think it was done lovely.

There's a real violence to these books. The panel of Genevieve standing over the executed slayer in "No Future for You, Part I" was tough to take. I appreciate it, kind of, but also...well, you know. It's hard. I always say about Buffy that I liked the fighting whenever there weren't guns, but still the fighting remained bloodless because hello, television. So there is a tiny disconnect where I see these gruesome images in the comics and take it maybe a little more to heart than I would in any other comic. It feels that much different from the world we had before Sunnydale went from an outie to an innie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Kevin Fanning So in the stand-alone issue, what do you think Willow's bad thing was about? Looked pretty serious.

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg I couldn't really tell if that was meant to be part of her six months of gone-away-age or not, but I am actually guessing that whatever went on with that mermaid is not as bad as some other things that she's done or will do, just 'cause the reveal of that panel was played as a joke but it was the stuff later on in the scene that really seemed to angst up the girls.