Shazza Maddog's Reviews > Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship

Following Atticus by Tom Ryan

Nov 19, 11

Read in November, 2011

Tom Ryan was working as the editor/reporter of a biweekly newspaper, the Undertoad, when something happened that turned his life around - he offered to take in an elderly miniature Schnauzer, Max, whose owner was no longer able to take care of him. When Max developed seizures and had to be put down a year and a half later, Tom realized he not only wanted, but needed, another Schnauzer, and found one in Louisiana, bred by a woman named Paige. She sold him the puppy, eventually named Atticus M. Finch, and that puppy began to work to change Tom's life.

This is not just a story about a man and his dog, it's about how a pair of dogs charmed an entire city. It's not just about dogs, it's about the beauty of mountains, and how they can change a person. It's not just about those changes, but the changes that Tom realizes are happening in him because of his dog, because of the mountains they both love.

These changes aren't easy, and they're not without hardships. Tom and Atticus lose a good friend. They also have to deal with Atticus's health problems. And the weather on the mountains, while they try to accomplish their goals of hiking the Whites range, forty-eight peaks, twice, during the winter months.

Having been bossed around by miniature Schnauzers much of my life, this story really appealed to me. I can see a few of my dogs in Atticus's portrayal, and the ongoing desire for Tom to be the best person he can be for his dog.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Following Atticus.