Lauren's Reviews > Cape Refuge

Cape Refuge by Terri Blackstock

Nov 16, 11

Read from October 13 to November 16, 2011

I had a beautiful review and then lost it. Rats! I shall try again.

This book was great. It was a cool fiction novel with a christian theme. The book is about a murder mystery that occurs on an island off the coast of Georgia. It's pretty captivating and I didn't see the twist coming until right at the very end which is a good tribute to the writer. The main character, Blair, is an atheist who is dealing with the murder of her parents and struggling with the issue of whether God is helpless or cruel during our greatest difficulties. I love that when she confronts this issue with her sister, who is a Christian like their parents were, she tells about the story of Joseph. God wasn't absent in Joseph's struggle. He was screaming for his brothers to not throw him in the pit. Yet the suffering was necessary in order to save the nation of Israel. It reminds me of Jesus and His suffering to save everyone. Oh, I can't even fathom the tears that were in heaven then. I mean God had to turn His face. But oh, how He loves us. Oh how He loves.

I also like how the book ends. It doesn't really resolve Blair's unbelief and make everything look like a garden of Christian roses. She is still left with the struggle yet something changes. Something is pulling at her heart. That's what I think God's love is like. A constant tugging, a pull towards love. The constant beckoning.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cape Refuge.