Celestine's Reviews > Hiding in the Mirror: The Quest for Alternate Realities, from Plato to String Theory

Hiding in the Mirror by Lawrence M. Krauss

Oct 21, 11

Read from October 13 to 21, 2011

I actually didn't finished it, I've just given up, something I rarely do.

The problem with this book is that it pretends to be something it's not. I picked it up based on a summary that led me to believe this was a discussion of how the theme of parallel dimensions have been used in science fiction and fantasy literature for many years, with a bit of explanation of the physics behind the concept and why the authors of said literature have misunderstood the underlying physics. I expected it to be written in terms a layperson could understand.

Instead, it's an in-depth discussion of the history of the physics behind alternate dimensions, with very, very little discussion of literature at all. The non-science discussion is basically limited to an introduction in which the author explains how The Twilight Zone inspired him to become a physicists, and a few chapter-opening quotes (though most chapter-opening quotes are from physicists). Much of the discussion involves mathematical concepts that are indecipherable to someone like me, who considers math to be a particularly incomprehensible foreign language. When the author describes these concepts as metaphors, I understand the concepts better. However, Krauss does this far less than I expected.

Someone with a better background in math and/or physics and an interest in dimensions in space time would probably enjoy it better than I did.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hiding in the Mirror.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Steiner you 2 starred it because you didn't understand it was a science book?

Celestine Josh wrote: "you 2 starred it because you didn't understand it was a science book?"

No, I two starred the book because I didn't understand it was a history of science book, because the summary was misleading. There's a difference in the type of book I was lead to except, versus the type of book this actually is, which lead to my "it was okay" opinion.