Melanie's Reviews > Reclaiming Lily

Reclaiming Lily by Patti Lacy

Oct 13, 11

Read in October, 2011

Eastern China 1990, Pastor Andrew and Gloria Powell arrive to adopt their precious Chinese daughter Joy. Joy 10 years old had been left on the doorstep of the orphanage during a cultural revolution in China, fearing for their lives, and unwilling to terminate the pregnancy, Joy was given up for her safety.

Texas, 10 years later Joy is a disjointed, raging teenager without a relationship with Jesus, or her parents. At the end of their area of expertise, Joy’s parents are suffering with the loss of the love of the daughter they have cherished.

Kia was the 2nd born daughter of the Chang family, and vowed to her mother on her death bed, that she would reclaim Joy/Lily for their family. Kia learns that her mother dies of a kidney disease called PKD (Polycystic kidney disease) and vows that she will be a doctor with a healing hand to help others with the disease. In learning more about it she also realizes that it is a genetic disease, and feels compelled to let her sister Joy/Lily know so she can be tested.

Juvenile detention, tornado, fainting spells, pregnancy, cutting and religion are all issues spun into this novel. No wonder I couldn’t put it down!

Patti Lacy went to great lengths to bring the Chinese culture into the book through its surroundings and language. The book jockeys between China of the past and modern day in Texas and Boston. I felt that the descriptions of the scenes in China were so realistic I could smell the green tea!

This was a fantastic book that looked at international adoption and sacrifice. In those sacrifices made by the characters in the book, it is realized the great sacrifice that Christ paid for us. Relevant as many Americans are still adopting internationally, and realizing the culture difference and judgment of those around can wreak havoc on a young child’s life. The characters we deep and the relationships meaningful and long lasting. Very detailed and a must read!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reclaiming Lily.