Valerie's Reviews > Maine

Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan

Oct 13, 11

Read in October, 2011

*Sigh*

I wanted to love this book. One review I read said to make it your final summer read. I was expecting something fun and light, but there was nothing fun about this book. Once I realized it wasn't the light read I thought it was going to be, I just went with it. The story is told from the points of view of four women who cover three generations: Alice, the matriarch; Kathleen, her daughter; Ann Marie, her daughter-in-law, and Maggie, Kathleen's daughter. None of these women is likable. Alice is a racist piece of work. But despite that, at least Alice had an interesting back story involving the death of her sister years before. I would've preferred the whole book was about Alice. I enjoyed the writing, but the plot was very slow. There's a LOT of buildup to these women finally coming together at the family's summer beach home (2/3 of the book), and then....not much happened. I felt let down and then just plowed through to finish. If it weren't for the pathetic ending, I might've given it three stars just for the writing, but the ending was so rushed, I just felt annoyed that I read the whole thing.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maine.