Zoey Talbon's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

May 20, 15

Read from June 27 to August 10, 2012

Defiance doesn't waste any time at throwing you right into the story. Once Commander Chase declares her father dead, Rachel Adams wastes no time in trying to come up with a plan to find him. Of course, Logan McEntire (Anyone think of Myra McEntire? I do.) doesn't plan to let her leave the "safety" of Baalboden on her own. Defiance is certainly filled with plenty of action, which is something I think a lot of dystopians are, oddly enough, missing.

Because Defiance is written in dual POVs, we get to experience both Rachel and Logan's thoughts and experiences when they're separated. While I think Redwine handled the dual POVs very well, when I stopped reading and returned quite a bit later, it was hard to tell whether I was reading from Logan's perspective or Rachel's perspective for a page or two. The characters themselves are very easy to love - Logan and Rachel are both fighters in their own way, both heroes. Rachel is stubborn, sometimes impulsive, and very determined. Logan calculates things, makes plans. Together, they work perfectly to level each other out. But sometimes they just didn't have unique voices in their narratives.

When it comes to the romance between Rachel and Logan, however, I wasn't really satisfied. It felt a bit rushed to me, even though I know it wasn't since Rachel and Logan have known each other since forever, basically. The tension between the two of them in the first half of the book is written perfectly - but then suddenly I feel like it fizzled out. The two of them are still perfect for each other, of course. I just feel like there could have been more.

Speaking of more, the only other issue I had was the world-building. It's easy to see that the world Rachel and Logan live in is dangerous. But I didn't really understand the world itself at all. That's always been an issue for me, so maybe it wouldn't bother anyone else.

And Commander Chase. I spent half of the book wishing I could punch him in the face. He's a merciless, power-hungry, mysterious leader. I can't wait to find out what's really going on with him in the next book.

Overall: With strong characters - that also know they need help from one another - and action-packed chapters with smooth writing, Defiance is a dystopian you don't want to miss out on. 4 stars.
51 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

06/27/2012 page 30
7.0% "Already amazing. Also: DUAL POV'S AND C.J. REDWINE HANDLES THEM PERFECTLY." 1 comment
07/13/2012 page 60
14.0% "!!!!"
08/10/2012 page 115
28.0% "I refuse to believe any of that just happened. (I'm actually on page 115 of 315.)"

message 1: by Nayab (new) - added it

Nayab Love the review:)

message 2: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna How is this one so far? Seems very interesting.

message 3: by F.J. (new) - added it