Kyle's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I enjoy a good dystopian novel, and I hadn't read a good one in a while. My wife really enjoyed this one, so I decided to pick it up.

As far as series dystopian goes, this is pretty textbook. Having read dystopians from Scott Westerfeld (the Uglies) to Emma Clayton (Roar) and Susan Collins (Hunger Games), I had a hard time really getting into this one. It wasn't until around page 200 (400+ pages total) that I really started to see some differences in writing from other dystopians. (No fault to the author, I just think she hit a saturated market.)

In terms of story and plot, I really enjoyed this book. It's a true dystopian in that there really isn't any "sci-fi" element to the storyline, but rather just a really messed up future normal. There were some unexpected surprises, and good plot developments overall. Characters were developed adequately, but sometimes I just wished that the author would get on with the action. I didn't find myself looking introspectively at myself too much in this one (like I usually do in a dystopian).

I can see why this appealed to my wife in that it had a solid "love" or "relationship" plot line throughout. The "love-line" was not so prevelant in the story to overpower (a la Twilight), but resembled more of a Hunger Games/Uglies presence. As the protagonist was a female and things were tailored to her inner-self, this book was clearly written to more of a female audience. However, there is definitely enough action, etc. for a male audience to enjoy it.

Overall, it was a good read. I'd recommend it... especially to female readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.