Jessica Wimberly's Reviews > The Darkest Surrender

The Darkest Surrender by Gena Showalter

Back of book

Preview

"I need you to be brutally honest right now,"

Wariness cloaked his features. "Okay."

"How pretty do I look?"

His gazed dropped, following the line of her body. She wore a red lace dres that veed in the middle, all the way to her navel. The hem stopped just below the curve of her ass.

"You need to put on a pair of pants." His voice was a croak. And he did not move toward her.

"Duh. As if I'd go out like this. I've got a pair... right..." SHe looked around. "There." She stalked to the nightstand and lifted the pants in question. A scrap of red lace spandex that wouldn't fasll below her dress.

His mouth hung open. "We were just sitting on the bed, together and you were just drinking from me, your mouth on my skin and didn't have any panties on?"

"You mean you didn't look?" She said with a pout.

"No I wouldn't let myself."

"Why?"

"Damn it Kaia, You can't just go around pantiless"

"Which is why I just pulled on a pair." Were you not just not watching?"

Review
I have to say first that I loathe Kaia. And couldn't find no redeming qualities about her even as I read and finish the book. I still hated her guts.

The book starts out about how Kaia got the nickname "Kaia the disappointment."
Kaia knows that Strider is her consort and tries everything she could to get him to understand that they belong together.

She finds out that she will be competting in the upcoming harpy games which is a little odd to her since her fellow Harpys have written her off. Strider goes to help her through the games and give her blood when she needs it. Then it gets interesting when they find out that the prize is the fourth artifact that the lords need. Throught the challenges Kaia and her team are jumped and beaten up on even when they are not competeing they have to watch their backs. The other harpies are not the only ones that Kaia and her team have to worry about, Hunters and the God Queen herself Rhea are trying to take them apart.

While all this happening Paris is searching for Sienna. (I can't wait for their book.)
William goes and slaughters Gilly's parents. (I hope they don't end up together.)
And My baby Kane is on his way to hell to start the Apocalypse.

What I like The other characters stole the show. I found myself reading just to read about Paris and Kane and William.

What I didn't like: This is easy: Kaia. Ugh I have never hated a heroine more. I thought I hated Olivia til I read Kaia's story but Kaia takes the cake of my hatred. She comes in first and Olivia in second. As a matter of fact I hate Harpies. I had liked Gwen until she started to act more slutty and more like a harpy. I really feel Strider deserves better.
I also was sad when Lazarous had to die. I wished there was another way around that.

Quote:
<><>2
<><>4 - There was a new character mentioned that was black.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Surrender.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Gena Showalter
“That's because I'm made of awesome."

"And dipped in awesome."

"And sprinkled with awesome."

"Gods, I love the taste of awesome.”
Gena Showalter, The Darkest Surrender

Gena Showalter
“We were just sitting on the bed, together, and you were just drinking from me, your mouth on my skin, and you didn't have any panties on?"

"You mean you didn't look?”
Gena Showalter, The Darkest Surrender

10/13/2011 page 60
14.0% "I F###ing hate Kaia!!!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ (last edited Jul 05, 2012 08:23AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ I couldn't agree more. Kaia the Annoying is one of the worst characters I've ever read about! I hate her!!!

I dislike Harpies as well. They are stupid and primitive!

Strider defo deserves better!