Karen's Reviews > The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Nov 02, 11

Read from October 13 to November 02, 2011

This book is beautifully written. The descriptions are breathtaking and the author takes you into each of the character's hearts exceptionally well. The exception is Phoebe, the child with Down Syndrome, who is probably the most satisfied person in the book. And therein lies the rub for me. Although very well written, it is so sad and the characters make so may mistakes in judgment that I just wanted to throttle all of them. Not that I found it unrealistic. It is easier to see into another's heart, soul, thoughts, etc. in a book than it is in real life, but it is a depressing book to read. It makes one realize that one's decisions, big and small, can make such a difference in the lives of those around you. And that we go around making these decisions often based on what we think others are thinking, when we truly have no idea. Communication, people! I have no idea how many times I yelled that while reading this and yet I suffer from exactly that myself. I am not a good communicator and would probably find myself making these huge mistakes myself put in the same situation. However, that did not make the reading of this any easier.

If you still want to read this, though, get the audio version. Martha Plimpton's reading of the book is terrific.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I thought the disintegration of the Memory Keeper's marriage due to secrets and silence rather than hurtful intent and open conflict was particularly well drawn. But you're right, it is a sad book.