Giselle's Reviews > Revived

Revived by Cat Patrick

May 07, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from May 03 to 04, 2012

After dying 5 times, Daisy is kind of tired of it all. Having to relocate each time: a new school, new routine, new last name - a whole new life. It gets tiring after a while not getting to keep your identity. An interesting plot with a fast pace and short chapters, Revived is surprisingly easy to fly through.

Revived is the drug that can bring people back to life. This drug has been secretly tested on a few kids - Daisy included, and controlled by an anonymous eerie guy they call God; his agents - the disciples; and the subjects - converts. We did not delve into this secret project much more than this. Consequently, you can't look into it too deeply without raising questions. Mostly whys and hows. This could have been fine if it was the first in a series where we would still have a chance to examine this further, but for a standalone I felt the information was scarce. Likewise, the promised sinister goals don't feel as sinister when we only vaguely know about these people. But there are some fun, though not unpredictable twists, which gives an overall entertaining plot. However, regardless of the synopsis, this book reads more like a contemporary with some added supernatural events so this doesn't become a very big problem.

The characterization is what makes it the most engaging. Daisy has a very relatable voice that you can see grow inside this book when she develops relationships with Audrey and Matt, her first real friends. Being able to come back to life has given her a nonchalant attitude about death. So when faced with real, no coming back, death, she's at a loss. Suddenly, everything is being doubted. Is the Revive project really a positive thing? Is it fair that she can cheat death? We touch base on a lot of subjects: From death, to experiencing her first love, to her amazing relationship with her "fake" father - I could feel her joy and her pain. We see her at her best, but also at her worse; making her an intricately written character.

Falling in love for the first time is bliss; but it's also confusing. The romance plays a pretty big part in Revived. Daisy and Matt develop a believable and truly sweet relationship. Like any teenage romance, there are bumps in the road; the ones in this story are particularly steep. Although clever and undeniably loving, Daisy may be a bit too trusting. I was surprised by how quick she gave away her enormous secret to her boyfriend. Maybe it's just simple naivety, but after keeping it for so long she was quick to spill the beans. It was definitely not the smartest idea.

Quick and entertaining, Revived is filled with compelling characters that will lead you in a fun, but also emotionally-profound story. It's a delightful read that I would recommend if you enjoy contemporary novels with sci-fi elements.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revived.

05/03/2012 page 174
52.0% "Wow, she was quick to spill the beans."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Great review Giselle. I like the fact that this is a stand-alone too, all wrapped up in one book. :) It looks like you thought it was "okay" from your rating though. I guess it didn't knock your socks off. :)

Giselle Thanks Rachel. To me a 3-star is more than just OK, I liked it but it didn't blow my mind. :) It's still a pretty entertaining read and kind of refreshing that it's a stand alone.

Beckie Thank you for a great review, Giselle. I so wanted to read the book but was waiting to hear more reviews for it.

Giselle No problem, Beckie. It's a super quick read!

message 5: by Rory (new) - added it

Rory Gallagher Thanks for the review, I've been eyeing this one :)

Giselle Hope you love it Rory :)

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige Great review, but I think you may have mixed up Audrey and Daisy at one point... From what I've gathered from other reviews, Daisy-- not Audrey-- develops a relationship with Matt (who I'm guessing is Audrey's brother?). Haha :)

Giselle Ooh you're right I did!! I fixed it! Thanks! No there is no incest in this book! Baha.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Great review!!!!

Giselle Thanks Greta! :)

message 11: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi I wasn't sure about reading this book, but after your review It's at the top of my list for MUST READ. Thanks for the review. :)

message 12: by Giselle (last edited Jun 07, 2012 06:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Giselle Hope you like it, Lexi! :)