Giselle's Reviews > Days of Blood & Starlight

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: arc, ebook, fantasy
Read in November, 2012

With it's amazing die-worthy gorgeous cover, how can this book be bad at all? Really? It would be a sin!

Days of Blood and Starlight is the fantastic sequel to the very well loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone, where we met the lovely Karou and her unimaginable surroundings. Both the characters and world building in this series are created wonderfully and incredibly vivid--which is surreal for such an imaginative fantasy world. While we are taken on a mind blowing journey when this world unravels in our minds in Daughter of Smoke and Bone, its sequel doesn't have the magic of learning the world, the fascination of experiencing for the first time what Laini has created. This is often the downfall of sequels; we know it, we want to move forward, and although this one didn't completely fall prey of such stalled sequels, it does take quite a while to get the ball rolling. The first half of the book, albeit still interesting, even a little nostalgic, feels like it will never end. This does happen to be about 250 some pages… Finally, when certain secondary character become a bigger part of the story the pace is, or at least feels, like it's finally moving forward. These characters really bring so much energy into this novel that it almost completely changes the tone of the book once they're in the picture. But it's not just them, so much stuff has started to happen all around. Now it's fun, exciting, intense, funny, emotional; all the reasons I loved the first in this series has come to the forefront.

The first part of the book may be slow, but the second half is full of wicked fight scenes and great plot advancement that make you forget it was even slow in the first place. I was especially taken by the abrupt plot happenings that Laini decided to add in this sequel. I think maybe I don't expect very important things to happen in the middle child of a trilogy, so I'm very happy when we actually get some things checked off the list!

Having learned who she really was, and what her world consists of, Karou is clearly not the same young, carefree teenager she once was. She has become tough, determined, with some very hard edges. The character growth is there and it makes complete sense with story developments we went through. I love how she becomes who she has to be to make things right for her people. Her loyalty is admiring and a great quality in a protagonist; you can easily understand her, root for her, and sympathize to her situation. The side characters, the monsters, the creations, everyone is so alive in this novel! One example of excellent writing!

The character voices, the incredible world, the fantastic fight scenes (especially in this sequel); it's elaborate without being overdone, it's pretty without being cliché. It's all so attractive! Obviously, I highly recommend this series, especially to fans of fantasy--in which I am not, so doubly great if you are!

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for review.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads
148 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Days of Blood & Starlight.

11/03
60.0% "I've no idea where I'm at, really, my ebook says 2 out of 2 pages O_O" 1 comment
03/10 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 20: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan November 6th is too far awayyyyyyyyy!

Giselle At least it's 2012!

message 18: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan True that :)

Vyki (On The Shelf) Wow! Lovely cover!

message 16: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Absolutely gorgeous.

message 15: by McKenna (new)

McKenna Holy gorgeous! That cover is...wow they really outdid themselves. Hopefully the story is as good as the cover!

message 14: by Riya (new) - added it

Riya I LOVE Channing Tatum! <33 What an an awesome cover. :)

message 13: by Ava Oceana (last edited Sep 01, 2012 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava Oceana My future stepmother is friends with him... xD.

message 12: by Ankita (new) - added it

Ankita <3 Channing Tatum... and the cover... mwahh!!!

Micheline Ahhhh what a perfect Halloween treat! *dies of jealousy*(I mean DoB&S haha not so much the Channing Tatum bit...*runs and hides*) Anyways enjoy your read haha!

Giselle It was so good! You'll love it, Mimi! You can come borrow it if you want!

Micheline Ahhhh thanks for the offer Giselle but my copy arrived in the mail yesterday :D I really do have to make it over to your place thought to check out your other goodies!! Oh, and beautiful review ♥ You made me even more anxious to start it!

message 8: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Glad to hear in spite of the slow beginning it took off in the end. Did you like this as much as the first Giselle?

Giselle @Micheline: Sure thing! I'm about to be suffocated by these goodies! >.<

@Rachel: I liked the first one better. The magic of discovering the world was not as mesmerizing as the first one since we were already introduced to it (hence the slow first half), but it's still a great sequel!

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Great review. I can't wait to read this book.

Mayden Great review as always! I just finished reading the second book and I fell in love with Days of Blood and Starlight the same way as the first book of the series.

Giselle Thanks ladies! I'm glad you liked it Mayden! I hear there'd going to be a movie of Smoke and Bone!!

Allie I really really enjoyed this review, just because you acknowledge many of the feelings I'm having at this point in the book. Granted, I'm only on page 181 (chapter 36), so I am relatively still in the early stages of the sequel. I've been getting a little frustrated and antsy while reading because, while the book has been great so far, it's not capturing my attention as much as Daughter of Smoke and Bone had. I find myself trying to rush through many of the chapters, craving more action and just...more. But, I'm very glad that I read your review, knowing that the ball does start to get rolling soon enough. So thank you! I love what Taylor has done with this series, and I couldn't find in myself to give up on the great plot and our favorite characters. Thank you for giving me the push I needed!

Janis Rocha Glad to hear I'm not the only one having trouble getting past the first part of this book. It is very slow and am having to push myself to get through it and I'm usually one to finish a book quickly but this one is killing me right now. Loved the first one so hoping the rest of the book will be just as great

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH If you are having trouble getting into this book, the audio version is very well done. The narrator does all sorts of voices and she acts out the parts very well.