Ellie's Reviews > Hypothermia

Hypothermia by Arnaldur Indriðason

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: nordic-noir, crime, fiction, series, 2011ind-chal200bks
Read from October 13 to 22, 2011

Hypothermia by Arnaldur Indriðason is number 8 in Indridason's Erlendur Sveinsson series. Erlendur is another in the Nordic line of tortured detectives whose work is driven by their painful histories. To be clear, I love these detectives. Especially Erlendur.

In Hypothermia, Erlendur is called to the scene of a suicide (one of my favorite lines in this & maybe any book is when Erlendur's colleague says to him, "I thought you were only interested in missing person cases." and Erlendur responds, "Suicide is a kind of missing person."). There are details that bother him and so he worries at the case that is no case trying to explain the inconsistencies. While investigating the reasons for the woman's suicide, Erlendur also deals with two long cold cases of missing persons, a young man who disappeared many years ago, whose father is now dying, as well as another case of a young woman whose parents continue to stay in contact with Erlendur. His own children, now grown, struggling with issues of addiction and abandonment are trying to bring him to meet with his long-estranged (and very bitter) ex-wife, and his brother, lost as a child in a blizzard, is another strong presence in this story about the presence of absence in our lives.

Well-written (at least, well-translated), well-plotted, with haunting themes and vivid characters: I love this book and can't wait to read more in the series. I guess Jar City, #3 in the series but first to be translated will be my next stop in Iceland.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hypothermia.

10/13/2011 page 24
8.0% "I was instantly hooked-I love it so far. My other library books may not get read at all."
10/22/2011 page 314
100.0% "Basically read it in 2 long gulps-so great!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane This sounds like a great book. I will have to check it out. Enjoyed your review.

Ellie Thanks. :)