Crystal's Reviews > Love is Darkness

Love is Darkness by Caroline Hanson

Oct 13, 2011

Read from October 14 to 15, 2011

I stumbled upon this book by accident at Barnes and Nobles Nook Store and overall I'm very happy that I did. This is the first in a series about a young woman name Valerie. Evidently her mother was killed in front of her by a vampire when she was a young child. Her father became a changed man that was obsessed by killing vampires even to the detriment of Val's well-being. Along the way they pick up an Italian orphan, Jack, who's entire family was slaughtered by a vampire. Basically, Val can not handle the life of a vampire hunter that her father and Jack thrive upon so she bides her time, unhappily until college when she can leave. This is very traumatic for her her because deep down she loves them both and in their own ways they love her too but their lust for revenge against vampires is more important and consumes them.

So her relationship with Jack is gut wrenchingly complicated and almost as dysfunctional as the one with her father. They both love each other and resent each other I'd say just about equally. Jack can't be with her because he knows that she's not cut out for the life of a vampire hunter but at the same time he is disappointed that she doesn't stay with them. He won't try to work a relationship out between them but neither does he want her with anyone else and begrudges any fledgling relationships or flirtations that she has. Then we are introduced to Lucas, King of the vampires and another extremely complicated character. He finds Valerie again, after helping her as a teen when she is almost killed by a vampire, and tells her that he needs her help to find the other supernaturals that have been basically endangered species since the vampires killed them off in the past. He reveals that the vampires need to be governed as they have become too bloodthirsty and complacent without the threat of the others. Lucas basically tells Val that he has been protecting Val and her family for years and that is the only reason that her father and Jack have survived as humans are no matches for vampires. He tells her that if she refuses to help that he will no longer protect her father and Jack.

I really liked this book and finished it relatively quickly. I went into it not expecting much, since it was selling for $0.99 and I was very pleasantly suprised. That's not to say that this was a flawless novel but it was entertaining enought that the flaws were easily overlooked, at least for me. Valerie is a young woman being raised in a maelstrom of violence who craves a normal life and stability. She is at times immature and makes some questionable decisions but some of that is explained later in the book when we find out her true origins. There were some inconsistancies and some things that were not explained enough but I know that there is a 2nd book coming out so that may shed some light on a few things. I'm very eager to read the next book Love is Fear, so if you are an Urban Fantasy or Paranormal fan you should definitely check this book out. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love is Darkness.