Giselle's Reviews > Girl of Nightmares

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Aug 01, 2012

bookshelves: arc, ebook
Read from May 04 to 07, 2012

This is one example of a book I would read for the cover alone. Heck, slap this cover on a 9000 page Spanish history book, and I will read it ALL! Even though I don't know Spanish >.< Luckily, what's inside this cover is just as incredible as the outside and will leave you equally spellbound!

It was clear from the beginning that Anna was not going to be as big a character as in the first novel. I was a bit disappointed at first because Anna is fabulous and crazy, but I can assure you that her absence is filled so formidably that you will not be left with any longing for her. She's not completely absent either, she has her way of making herself present in the story. Cas, though, he's still there in his full glory. He's got a fabulous sense of humor and incredible charm that fill the pages yet again. His loyalty to his friends, the determination behind his wants; it's admirable and makes him a positively strong, enchanting character. He's definitely kept his place as my favorite YA male protagonist.

Along with Cas, comes the laughs. (This was a totally unintentional rhyme, I swear!) It's really one of my favorite aspects of this series: How Blake can easily blend in laugh-out-loud funny dialogue inside such a creepy, dark story is a great feat! It makes it not only scary, but just plain fun and entertaining, too.

“Every time I question him about the feasibility, he smiles at me like he's Yoda and I'm just a dumbass without the Force.”
-Quoted from the uncorrected proof.

Aiding him in his mischief, Carmel and Thomas are worthy of mention as two fantastic supporting characters that have just as much soul in this series as Cas himself. The group dynamic makes them a powerful trio and I was pleasantly surprised by the direction Blake takes them in this sequel.

In Anna Dressed in Blood, the plot was creepy and horrific. In Girl of Nightmares, it is turned up a notch. Although it may be a tad less creepy, I felt much more afraid in this one; it has a more serious, all encompassing tone. The vibe is more sinister and the scary parts are downright terrifying. Let's just say, things get pretty out-of-hand serious. I loved it. I've been a fan of horror my whole life and while I truly enjoyed the first book, I completely fell in love with its sequel!

As for the ending: Perfection! True, immeasurable perfection!

An absolutely thrilling sequel that will render you speechless in awe, Girl of Nightmares is filled with compelling characters and spine-chilling events. Fans of Anna Dressed in Blood will not be disappointed!

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads
55 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl of Nightmares.

05/05
41.0% ""I hate that creepy weird-eye shit" Teehee. I <3 Cas!" 1 comment
03/31 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-32)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kereesa JEEEAAALLLOOOUUUSSSS!!

Giselle MUAHAHA! SO PRETTY!!!!

Amanda super jealous here! August yet?!

message 28: by Rola (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rola OMG SOOO LUCKKYYY :(

message 27: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat *Jealous stare* Can't wait to read your review of this one. Must have more Cas in my life!

message 26: by Lyrical (new)

Lyrical how come one

Giselle Lyrical wrote: "how come one"

What?

message 23: by Rane (new)

Rane with everyone *jealous*! Can't wait till aug!

message 22: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Incredible review Giselle! I'm sad to hear that Anna is not in this book that much, but at least Carmel, Thomas and cas are!

message 21: by Giselle (last edited May 10, 2012 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Giselle Rachel wrote: "Incredible review Giselle! I'm sad to hear that Anna is not in this book that much, but at least Carmel, Thomas and cas are!"

Thanks Rachel! She's still there plenty though, if not always physically, she makes herself known ;) I thought I would be disappointed but I wasn't at all.

Steph Sinclair Glad you love it. Me too! I think GoN was funnier than ADiB. Blake really outdid herself here. :)

Giselle Stephanie wrote: "Glad you love it. Me too! I think GoN was funnier than ADiB. Blake really outdid herself here. :)"

Same here! I liked this one more in many ways. The humor (and Cas) was awesome and one of my favorite part of this series.

message 18: by Missy (new)

Missy LaRae This is a great review. As an author I am pea green with envy over this cover. It's SO pretty. It has that really creeptastic factor to it that not a lot of books can achieve!

Giselle Missy wrote: "This is a great review. As an author I am pea green with envy over this cover. It's SO pretty. It has that really creeptastic factor to it that not a lot of books can achieve!"

Thank you! And the cover if one of my favorites ever! I love covers in red but even so it's totally fabulous and fits the story completely!

message 16: by Regina (new)

Regina Great review! I am not sure why I haven't read the first one yet but both your review and the cover have made me want to go back and read it.

message 15: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie OOoohhhh so excited for this one - you lucky girl. :)

Giselle Thanks ladies!
@Regina: WHAT? Go check it out!! It's so good and creepy!

@Sam & Bonnie: I hope you both love it too! I'm pretty sure it's the last in the series too it has a perfect ending and I can't see where she would continue from here.

Aleksandra OMG, I'm so jealous, I can't wait for August & great review!!!

Giselle Aleksandra wrote: "OMG, I'm so jealous, I can't wait for August & great review!!!"

Thanks doll! I hope you love it too!

message 11: by Bridget (new)

Bridget It is a beautiful cover...I will look into the first book to see if it's something I will want to read. :0)

♥Rachel♥ Great review Giselle. I'm excited to read this. I glad to hear it wraps up nicely. :)

Vivian I just finished reading Anna Dressed in Blood. Thanks for sending me off hunting for a copy of the sequel with your fantastic review!

Giselle Vivian wrote: "I just finished reading Anna Dressed in Blood. Thanks for sending me off hunting for a copy of the sequel with your fantastic review!"

Thanks Vivian! It's a really great series! This one is apparently the last one too, which is sad but the ending is perfect! This review is a bit early though the book is not out until August :(

Vivian Vivian wrote: "I just finished reading Anna Dressed in Blood. Thanks for sending me off hunting for a copy of the sequel with your fantastic review!"

You're welcome! I'm really looking forward to it! What's with all these awesome books coming out in August!!! sorry I haven't been around to comment on your blog posts :( Temporary blogging hiatus, but obviously, I still can't stop reading, haha!

Giselle Don't worry about it! I've been super busy lately too and haven't been commenting as much but I still read tons in my reader.

Ashley (Bookaholics Anonymous) Definitely can't wait for this one.

message 4: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat Great review! Even MORE jealous now ;)

Beth  (Curling Up With A Good Book) Oh I just CANNOT wait!!!!! I loved the first book SOOO much!! Cant wait till Tuesday!!!!

♥Rachel♥ Even though I didn't enjoy this as much as the first, I'm still sad to say goodbye to the characters. Wonderful review Giselle. :)

John Hennessy The only cover better than this one, was the Anna Dressed in Blood cover, in my opinion! I loved the fact that you couldn't see Anna's face on the first one (not wanting to see if she was pretty or whatever, just it was nice to see how Kendare described her in the books). All in all, an awesome duology. Cas is drop dead funny, and Thomas and Carmel are more developed in this one. I'm even happy with the ending!