Jennifer Wardrip's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Anya Bast

Nov 04, 12

liked it
bookshelves: lendable-kindle, read-personally-by-moi

I haven't read anything previously by Anya Bast, so I have no idea if FURY is part of an ongoing series or something the author is writing separately to release as just the two interrelated short stories (see TRANQUILITY).

That being said, I liked the concept of the shifters, of being a Shadow, of the OtherKin in general. FURY revolves around a main hero, Merrick, who is an alpha werewolf, and Nikki, who happens to be a werecougar that the pack elders want to make Queen. Hot sex ensues, followed by the inevitable HEA filled with more hot sex.

As I said, I did enjoy the concept of the story, and I probably would have moved that to REALLY liked if not for two things. One, although I recognize the "I-just-met-you-but-want-to-sex-you-up-now" plot device, especially in stories involving shapeshifters who seem to "recognize" their mates upon meeting, just a tad more introduction before the horizontal tango would have been nice. And secondly, holy crow, this story badly needed an editor before it went up! I know Ms. Bast has published a bunch of stories through large-name publishers, but due to the lack of editing, I'm guessing this wasn't one of them.

So overall, a great concept - I'd definitely be interested in reading a full-length novel or novella starring the OtherKin. Yet on the other hand, the horrible execution of this short tale kept me from loving it like I wanted to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.