Trk142's Reviews > The Book of Joe

The Book of Joe by Jonathan Tropper

U_50x66
Oct 13, 11

Read in October, 2011

Ahhhh.....another Jonathan Tropper book. After reading'This is where I leave you' then 'How to talk to a widower' this was like going back in writer development time. I can tell that he had not found his voice yet, however, through the cynical and jeering thoughts and comments of the wise cracking and wise beyond his years nephew, Jared and the once in a while wise cracking after thought of the main character, I could tell that the comfort of implementing this persona was just stating to manifest itself. Also, it seemed like he felt the need to exercise his literary muscles by using long descriptiv narratives with fifty cent words to make a simple point. His later books are more like 'bend over and give it to me straight' kinda writing that is more realistic and fun to read. Seemed like he was trying to make complexity where simplicity would have made it more down to earth and heartwarming. Having said that, I devoured this book like I do all of this others. To see a comment from Augusten Burroughs on the cover just sealed the deal for me as I am such a huge fan of Mr. Burroughs. I would have loved to have seen his relationship with his brother develop more, however, as we all know, this could have taken at least another 400 pages. The mystery of "maybe at the end of the story just made you wanting more, which is a great way to end a great book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Joe.