Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream's Reviews > Dark Lover

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

Oct 26, 11

bookshelves: 3-stars
Read in October, 2011

My original plan was to read and review each book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. However, that plan is out because I have decided to quit reading this series. At least for now.

I have read the first five books in this series: Dark Lover, Lover Eternal, Lover Awakened, Lover Revealed, Lover Unbound, but I will not continue reading this series because my opinions on the first five books are very inconsistent.CLICK HERE TO READ MY REVIEW FOR THE FIRST FIVE BOOKS IN THE SERIES

MY REVIEW FOR DARK LOVER:
The Black Dagger Brotherhood is a series about sexy, dangerous vampires who are warriors for their race, protecting their kind and humans from lessers. Lessers are soulless things (not people because they are dead) who want to kill the vampires and don’t mind killing humans in the process.

This is a creative paranormal adult series. Dark Lover, the first novel in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, was a good first book to this series. Good, but not great. I had a few problems with this novel. Nothing huge. Mainly, it just took me a while to adjust to the writing style, the characters and the information. It’s a whole new world, and it’s a lot to take in.

There are a ton of characters to get to know, and it can be a little confusing at first. In the beginning of the novel, I had to go back a few times and re-read because there are so many characters to keep straight. On top of learning the characters names, their backgrounds, and their one-of-kind characteristics, you also learn an entire new history and culture. The Black Dagger Brotherhood, a group of vampires, comes complete with their own rules, powers, enemies and language. It’s a lot to learn.

Too many perspectives tell this story, and it switches back and forth a lot. Once I would start to really get into this book-I mean it would be a huge, intense moment- the story would change to another person’s perspective, in a different moment. This novel doesn’t really flow, and that keeps you from connecting with the story.
Example: Beth and Wrath are having a really big moment. You are dying to see what is going to happen next, and then the story switches to Mr. X who is doing something else in his own world. The whole time I was supposed to read about Mr. X, I just wanted to skip ahead and find out what was going to happen between Beth and Wrath.

Speaking of perspectives, I absolutely hated reading Mr. A, B, C, D…X, (fill in the blank). I didn’t like reading from the lessers point of view. A lot of the time, I thought the information was boring and repetitive. Sometimes the information was important, but I think it could have been cut down a lot.

The language and relationships between the brothers seemed a little forced. I get that they have been around for a long time and they have a different way of speaking, but some of the moments between the brothers felt awkward and strange.

I gave Dark Lover by J.R. Ward 3 STARS.
-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Francine Ferreira loooove this book! its one of my favorite series! hope you enjoy it :D

Midsummer ❁◕‿◕❁ Hi! I like this series too.... But I LOVE Christine feehan's Dark series and Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series...

Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream I actually really enjoyed the first three books in this series, but after reading books 4 & 5, I just can't handle it anymore. I need a break. I will definitely check into the other series though. Thanks!!

Searock Thank you for your great review on REDIWBW. People love the heck out of this series and I don't get it. I bought the 1st and 2nd books, but haven't been able to open the second. Your review stated my feelings exactly. I feel so affirmed :) I may read 2 and 3 eventually, we'll see.

Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one, because I am definitely in the minority here! Thanks Searock!

Searock Dang, RED, all my peeps are writing status updates the MAKE me want to pick up this series (I stopped at #1), but your review is exactly how I felt while reading it and I am trying to keep myself from being wooed back in. Thank you for being so articulate about your experience. It is saving me from myself.