Phayvanh's Reviews > The Mysterious Affair at Styles

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

May 18, 08

bookshelves: 2008, reviews, agatha-christie
Recommended to Phayvanh by: library sale
Recommended for: beach readers
Read in May, 2008

I'd picked up this book at a local library sale, one of a shelf full of Christie books. Good coincidence that it was also the first Poirot novel.

Very easy to read, full of plot twists such that the murderer is not really uncovered (re-uncovered) until the end. I can see why Hercule Poirot has been an icon in the literary tradition--he's fussy and obscure, intelligent, fastidious and energetic. Such not have been bundled up in a short (as my imagination has him) little Belgian traipsing about London without any offical-ness at all. But here he is. Solving mysteries is like a game to him, as I see it. And I, who likes to solve puzzles, digs it mightily.

I didn't follow every twist. There are no "mood enhancers", the sparest of environs and details divulged. The story quickly moves from scene to scene and occasionally, I forgot that we were supposed to be in a hall, or the garden or the court inquisition. But what does it matter? We are reminded soon enough.

This Hastings fellow, the narrator dude? There is a reason, I suppose, that he is neither detective nor spy.

Allthesame, this is perfect (did I say PERFECT?)summer reading. Get lost and forget about it. Nothing will haunt you for days to come, nor disturb your conscience such as some missives will. Read it in a day, if you dare, then move on to the next. I look forward to the rest of this series.

I fear it will be a long summer... :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Affair at Styles.