Regina's Reviews > Leaving

Leaving by Karen Kingsbury

Oct 22, 11

Read from October 15 to 22, 2011

Well, reading this book was me giving Kingsbury one last chance to reclaim her former writing ability. It didn't work. I get the feeling as I'm reading that these books are what Karen Kingsbury wishes her life were like. Perfection.

Bailey Flanigan gets a part in a major motion picture and a part in a Broadway show? Of course she does. A hot movie star is in love with her? Of course! Ashley Baxter gets her art accepted by a major NY gallery? Of course she does. Oh, there's adversity to overcome, but they always come through with shining colors.

I'm sorry, but real life doesn't work that way. If I wanted to read a fairy tale, I'd sit down with my daughter and read Cinderella. Just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you always get the perfect job doing what you love. It doesn't mean you always get the guy or have tons of money and a big house. Not everyone you meet (doctors, teachers, other professionals) all seem to be Christians! I'm starting to wonder if Kingsbury and I even live in the same country!

I don't know about you, but when I read a book I want it to be something I can relate to. I cannot relate to these books. At all. When I was a teenager, I didn't have a bunch of famous boys chasing me. I didn't have Hollywood and Broadway clamoring for my skills. Get real, Karen! Young women are only reading this book and wondering why they are so inadequate. After all, if they're Christians shouldn't God be blessing them similarly? I guess maybe I'm just too much of a realist for these books. So long, Karen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heidi I've been thinking that way about her books for a long time. Lori Wick writes like that, too...everyone is the perfect little Christian w/ the perfect little family and noone else measures up, that's for sure. Plus Kingsbury seems to be just cranking out books lately that seem to read all the same. Boring!!

Regina Yeah, I think some authors should just stop trying to do so many series. They get locked into a contract where they have to produce so many books by a deadline and the writing is sub-par. The perfect little family aspect really gets me. I mean, seriously! Who can silence your kids with just one look???? Really? Are you living in la-la land?

Heidi Lol exactly!!!

Sarah Cooper i agree. add to that i am really getting tired of the long Cody / Bailey drama

M.K. So agreed...this was my last-Kingsbury-chance, too, and it looks like I'll be saying goodbye...way too much time in headspace, going over the same things, and all of them petty. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one!

message 6: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Blakely I hadn't read KK in years, and was in the library and saw this on a shelf and thought "hey, I like her... I'll try this". By the 3rd page I had sprouted cavities from the sugar. I kept going because I'm a glutton for punishment, but ugh. I had the EXACT same feeling - life just ISN'T that perfect.

Regina Beth wrote: "I hadn't read KK in years, and was in the library and saw this on a shelf and thought "hey, I like her... I'll try this". By the 3rd page I had sprouted cavities from the sugar. I kept going beca..."

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way!

Tessa Hall This is exactly why it took me months to get through this book. I'm 18, I've grown up in a Christian family, yet I could not relate to anyone in this book at all. Everything was way too perfect.