James Thane's Reviews > Bad Blood

Bad Blood by John Sandford

Oct 13, 2011

Read in October, 2011

When Bobby Tripp, a popular high school athlete, brutally kills a farmer late one night at a grain mill in rural Minnesota, there seems to be no logical explanation for the crime. Bobby fails in his attempt to disguise the murder as an accident and is arrested. Shortly thereafter, he is found hanging in his cell, an apparent suicide.

Lee Coakley, an attractive divorcee who is also the local sheriff, appeals for help from Virgil Flowers of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Coakley wants Virgil to investigate what role, if any, Jim Crocker, the deputy on duty, might have played in Bobby's suicide. Virgil agrees to help out and is immediately immersed in a complex situation involving a number of related crimes, many of which seem to center on the members of a secretive religious group in the small rural community.

With that, the book is off and running, and the reader is hopelessly trapped in a story that he or she will have great difficulty putting down before the conclusion. Flowers, who has often been described as a younger, single version of Sandford's long-time protagonist, Lucas Davenport, is a great lead character and this is another very entertaining read. Very few writers are capable of successfuly combining humor with a series of grizzly, unspeakable crimes, but Sandford is one of the few who pulls it off without seeming to trivialize the brutal crimes that are at the center of the story. This is a book that will certainly be devoured by Sandford's legion of fans and one that should appeal to anyone who enjoys crime fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Blood.

08/27/2016 marked as: read

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) Good Review, thanks James.

Kemper This was one of the best thrillers I read last year and the latest one is almost as good.

James Thane Hugh (A.K.A. Hermit the Curmudgeon) wrote: "Good Review, thanks James."

Thanks, Hugh.

James Thane Kemper wrote: "This was one of the best thrillers I read last year and the latest one is almost as good."

I really did enjoy this book--thought it was the best Flowers so far. I remember how high you were on the new one. I have it, but I am deliberately waiting so that I don't read two of them back-to-back and then have to wait months for a fresh one. Did I tell you that I saw Sandford last week and got a signed copy of the new one?

Kemper James wrote: "Did I tell you that I saw Sandford last week and got a signed copy of the new one?"

I just saw a comment you made that I had missed earlier about that. I'm jealous. I got a signed copy of one of the Davenport books I got as a present, but I've never got to meet him.

GymGuy Just finished this. One hell of a ride.

James Thane GymGuy wrote: "Just finished this. One hell of a ride."

Wasn't it though?