Megan Palasik's Reviews > Pregnant Pause

Pregnant Pause by Han Nolan

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: own
Read from October 13 to 16, 2011

I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. At first, it reminded me of the movie, Juno, except that the main character in this book, Eleanor, is more mouthy, druggy, and stubborn than Juno.

This story is written in a first person narrative from the view point of Eleanor. At times, it almost feels like she's talking to her diary.

Eleanor is 16-years-old and pregnant by her 18-year-old boyfriend, Lam. Through her teenage stubbornness, she decides that not only will she see this pregnancy through (she thought she might miscarry because of drugs she was doing before she knew she was pregnant and her sister has miscarried a few times) but that she and Lam will get married. So there! So, they get married and her parents have to move to Kenya because they are missionaries. So, during her pregnancy, she lives with her boyfriend and mother- and father-in-law, MIL and FIL, at their Weight Away Camp (fat camp) for the summer in a cabin working with the kids. The MIL and FIL don't like Eleanor and do everything they can to make her life miserable. Her older sister wants the baby and does everything she can to pressure Eleanor into giving the baby to her. And her parents are in Kenya and were not happy with her before they left. Throughout the summer, Eleanor not only learns more about Lam and her relationship with him, but she learns a lot about herself.

This is an interesting twist on a coming of age story. There are some parts you laugh at and some parts that make you want to cry. Sometimes you want to slap Eleanor for being so stubborn and such a teenager, and other times you want to congratulate her for finally seeing the light in the situation and within herself. She does a lot of mental flip-flopping on what she wants and does not want.

This was a good book that I read within a couple of days (which is fast for me). I will look up other books by this author. It's tempting to say this might be a good read for high schoolers, but then again, maybe not.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pregnant Pause.

10/13/2011 page 15