***Dave Hill's Reviews > A Kiss of Shadows

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton

Oct 13, 11

Read in March, 2002

(Original review 3/7/02)

Summary: [2] LKH starts a new series, seemingly because she couldn’t portray enough rough sex in her Anita Blake books. This new set of tales, of a mortal faerie princess, fleeing the dangers of the Unseelie Court only to have them catch up with her, could have used a prequel novel — “Here’s how Meredith’s life is like before it gets completely changed.” Instead, we have to settle for a few chapters of that before things get turned completely upside down. LKH, as in the Blake novels, does an interesting job of crafting an intersection between the Real World and the Fantastic (what the world would be like if the fay and the sidhe were real). But more than once I got the impression it was all in the service of writing a rough sex bodice-ripper, albeit one that could make the NYT Bestseller List. This book just came out in paperback; there are one (or is it two?) later volumes in hardback. I’ll probably continue to read it — but I’d rather read the metaphysical soap opera of Anita Blake than the B/D adventures of Meredith Gentry.

Entertainment: [2] The introduction of Faerie into the Real World is reasonably handled, although there are times when LKH seems to pull “gotchas” out of a hat. The sex scenes are pretty good, if you like a little pain with your pleasure.

Profundity: [1] Life’s a bitch, and so’s your aunt, but you can always screw your way out of a problem.

Re-readability: [1] I just don’t see picking this one up again soon. I may feel better once there are some others in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss of Shadows.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Oh gods, just avoid the rest. Far too much fae-effing, far too little story.

***Dave Hill This was from back in 2002, actually . I believe I ended up reading the next one, and bought the next two but never read them.

In fact, just this afternoon, I cleared off most of my LKH from the bookshelf and put it in my donate stack. Some early Anita Blake, and that's about it.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo I felt they were just AB rehashes - far too formula. From the 'beautiful' men (either very tall or pretty short) with waist long hair that's French braided to look short (no, it doesn't) to the 'mixed blood' chip on the shoulder, the laughable S&M and her fascination with oral sex on flaccid men. It's insulting! AB and MG are both 'so tight, so wet'; ugh, I'm just over it.