Melanie's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

Oct 13, 2011

bookshelves: steampunk, hey-look-what-i-can-do, paranormal-romance, genetically-engineered, meljean-brook, interracial-romance, frau-badass, badass-hero
Read from November 02 to 03, 2011

Meljean Brook's 'The Iron Duke' was gritty, creepy, sexy and.... really good! I haven't read many steampunk novels, but the ones I have managed to both simultaneously freak me out and fascinate me - this book was no different. Weird contraptions, funky nanoagents, highly advanced prosthetics, flesh-eating zombies, and engineered sea creatures all abound in a Victorianesque setting; there's no denying that Brook's 'Iron Seas' world is highly imaginative, but she also delivers a steamy and satisfying romance!

In this novel we are introduced to a Britain that is recovering from Horde occupation after being freed by former pirate Rhys (aka the Iron Duke). The Horde were ruthless invaders á la Ghengis Khan who infected their subjects with nanoagents so they could control everything from base emotions to how people procreated. Much hatred is still directed toward the Horde and even extends to those who physically resemble them, such as children born under their rule that resulted from Horde rapes.

The heroine, Mina is one of these children and though she's fared better than most because her family is part of the aristocracy, she isn't immune to discrimination. A police inspector, Mina is called to the Duke's home when a mysterious body is found on his property. Immediately, the former pirate covets her, but she has to deny him because of her mixed ancestry. Nonetheless, they team up to solve what turns out to be a complex mystery and along the way we are introduced to colorful people and interesting scenarios. There's never a dull moment, and when Mina finally surrenders her passions to Rhys... (*sigh*) it's well worth the wait!

Although you need to learn some 'Iron Seas' vernacular to read this book, monikers such as "buggers", "bounders", etc are used frequently and you gotta catch on quick to their meanings, I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Iron Duke' and can't wait to read the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.

Amanda The Book Slayer I really enjoyed this series as well and am looking forward to the next book. Great Review!