Laurian's Reviews > The Friday Night Knitting Club

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Oct 13, 11

bookshelves: girlie
Read in October, 2011

My friend Reina let me borrow this book, and gave me a bit of a warning that it was sad. I also should have been warned when I read the cover and it said that the book was a bit like Steel Magnolias but set in New York. So now I'm adding my warning to the list, the book is a bit sad.

It starts and pretty much ends following the central character, Georgia. Back when Georgia was in her 20s she feel in love and accidentally became pregnant. The man predictably cheated on her and left. There she was, pregnant, all alone, and pretty much with only one thing she really enjoyed doing: knitting. She started to craft her life around her passion, and eventually opened her own knitting shop. The book follows Georgia as a set of women come together to form a knitting club and Georgia's life gets turned up side down as the old love of her life returns along with her former back-stabbing best friend.

While being sad, it is also a bit rambling. The narration is also a bit stale. The characters are a bit flat and predictable. And, at times, it is a big cliche. That said, though, I still enjoyed it. It was much like how a lifetime movie sometimes is good despite itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Friday Night Knitting Club.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Reina It's true, it did read like a lifetime movie. There is a sequel out but I have yet to read it. Glad you liked it.