Christi Snow's Reviews > Midnight

Midnight by Ellen Connor

Oct 13, 2011

Read on October 11, 2011

My Review:
I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to like this book or not. I wasn't a huge fan of Chris' character in the first book. And, I will be honest, the first quarter of the book, I was still feeling the same apathy towards him and to Rosa's character too, but eventually, I got caught up in the story and now I love both of their characters. BTW, there is absolutely no reason that you have to read book #1 before this book. There are a few references to events that happened in that book, but not anything that would affect your enjoyment of this book.

This book takes place in a post-apocolyptic world. It basically takes place 3-4 years after the first book and Chris has been wandering alone that entire time. He, like everyone else, has lost so much since the Change. He is living, but it's simply survival...not a real life. He has changed a lot. He is tough. He is strong. He doesn't think twice about killing. He is straightforward. He is honest and truly has a good heart. He is still acting as a doctor whenever he runs across anyone in need. He has a pretty apathetic existence, until he wanders upon the settlement of Valle de Bravo.

Valle is ruled with an iron hand by Rosa. This band of about 20 people have settled into an old ghost town and made it their home. She is in charge there and if anyone has a problem with that, then they are thrown out. The world has become too harsh to accept anything else and Rosa has had to become harsh right along with it. The town has very basic rules and everyone knows what is expected of them. Because she is female, Rosa has had to establish very strict boundaries for herself so that no one questions her authority. One of those is that she doesn't get involved with men. After a history of sexual abuse because of the Change, this isn't a real issue for her. She has no desire to get intimate with any man and has never even been tempted until Chris shows up.

Neither Chris nor Rosa have been living anything that would qualify as a real life, so when their passion ignites, they are both in for some shocks. It was fabulous to read their return to hope in this world that they live in that has so little. I really grew to love these characters and the surprises at the end of this book left me reeling. This ended up being such a fantastic story and I am so glad that I read it. I actually grew to love the entire town and what they are developing there. The book has a great mix of characters that make up the little town of Valle de Bravo.

There is another book coming in this series, Daybreak (coming out Dec 6th,) which will go back to the original story line. That story is about Penny & Tru, the kids that are raised by Jenna & Mason (H/h from book #1, Nightfall.) While I loved this installment of the series, I cannot wait to know more about what has happened with all those characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight.