Melina's Reviews > Oakleaf Bearers

Oakleaf Bearers by John Flanagan

F_50x66
In a way, this book reads as the conclusion of a trilogy. I could easily see book one as a prequel, with books 2 and 3 setting up the story for a great conclusion here. And it really is a great conclusion.

This book is primarily set in Skandia, and just as we think all might be alright, with Halt and Horace finally catching up with Will and Evanlyn, they're plunged into more danger as a new group of warriors - more overwhelming than ever seen before - threaten the Skandians and nations beyond.

I often say that a great author or story can make you care about something you've never really cared about before. Flanagan does this throughout the book, particularly with archery. He also makes the war planning interesting and at times hilarious.

I recognize that these are children's books - they have great child characters doing exciting things; they have a focus on animals that a lot of children like; the nations they visit and talk about are portrayed in a somewhat stereotypical manner. But for adult readers, there's wonderful adult characters, particularly Halt.

My one complaint would be the lack of female characters - Evanlyn is it for this book. In discussions with one of my students today, he wondered whether this had to do with the war nature of the book, considering when it was set. I agreed, but also mentioned that I would have loved to see an appearance of Lady Pauline of the diplomatic service. A very interesting conversation :)

All in all, I highly recommend this book and would suggest that the series would be perfect for male and female readers from 9 up

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oakleaf Bearers.