Aruna's Reviews > Faith of the Fallen

Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind

Oct 13, 11

Read in October, 2011

There is merit in paying homage to a classic story in a modern novel, but when the homage is so blatant that it leaves nothing to the imagination, the reader is left with a wontonly masturbatory book. This novel is such a blatant rework of atlas shrugged that its only purpose seems to be to amuse the author. I've read atlas shrugged. I thought it pedantic and cumbersome. This book is pedantic, cumbersome, and unoriginal.
Mr Goodkind should stick to writing books about magic, not John Galt. Even if you agree with Rand and Goodkind's politics, why is it necessary to beat the reader over the head with the philosophy?
I've read up to this point because Goodkind writes intriguing cliffhangers that, even when the characters and superfluous descriptors annoy you, leave you wanting just a bit more. But I'm done now. No cliffhanger will convince me to read further because I like to read books that guide or allow me to make my own choice. If I want to read about economic theory, I'll pick up a text book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faith of the Fallen.