Leonie's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, romance, magical-realism, magic, young-adult, multiple-protagonists, fiction
Read from October 23 to 28, 2011, read count: 1

3,5 Stars.

When I first saw this book, it was standing on a bookshelf in my favorite bookstore. It had a sticker on the cover saying "The best romancebook of 2011". Such comments are good on selling the book, for apparently, I did buy it, but they have the potential of ruining your reading experience.

For, in my opinion, the romance part was kind of slim. When you compare it with promises of 'Best romance of 2011', underweight even. What was written, was nicely, but I expected a lot more.

Tops of this book:
I ordered the hardcover edition, and it is one of the most beautiful books I own; The black cover, with the man and woman on it, and the circus in the back. Beneath that the real cover, which is red, with an elegant silver clockface. All the pages are black on the sides and the inside of the cover is covered with tophats and bowlerhats. Top it of with a red ribbon. Truly a magnificent book.

The nice layout of the book creates and atmosphere which complentary to the book. The descriptions of the circus are magical, and mysterious.

The plots slowly and gently unrevels after the initial exciting start of the story.
But, in the end, when all is over, I'm not very impressed.

All in all, a good read, mainly because of the magical setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

10/24/2011 page 164