fennie's Reviews > Hades

Hades by Alexandra Adornetto

Oct 13, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, fantasy, things-that-make-you-go-hmm
Read in October, 2011

** spoiler alert ** having read halo a while ago, i really didn't think i would pick up hades. yet somehow i managed to sucker myself into reading it anyway (really need to get off of this ya kick and read some normal adult books). halo wasn't great, but i was still intrigued enough with bethany's story to continue with the trilogy. and while the book wasn't really 'good', it was entertaining in a guilty-pleasure sort of way.

the beginning of the book bothered me. a lot. bethany's really dumb. i'm not going to gripe about her idiotic decision-making, because the interesting parts wouldn't have been able to unfold otherwise, but let me just say, of all creatures, i highly doubt that an angel would take part in a seance. i mean, please.

i found jake's character to be the most intriguing this time around. i know its completely the bleeding heart in me that always roots for the underdog, but i couldn't help but feel sorry for him. yes, he's an original fallen angel, which is all well and good if he would just always act evil. he has this intense vulnerability and need for bethany's approval that kills me and makes me see a glimmer of a hope of good in him despite the circumstances (i.e. him kidnapping her and literally dragging her to hell). it was all very beauty-and-the-beast-esque, where dude has a girl captive while he's trying to win over her affection but to no avail, because after all, he's evil. yet despite continuously telling myself how horrible he is, something about him pulls at the heart strings. it's as if i wanted him to turn good, but at the same time i knew it wasn't possible because of what he is and who he serves (even if he does defy him).

as for the depiction of hell (why do they insist on calling it hades? hades is part of greek mythology. or is it supposed to be an anachronistic, non-funny joke?), i was expecting more fire and brimstone, lake of fire stuff, versus a world below ground that has hotels and clubs and is essentially more purgatory-like than hell-like. and the portals, really?

i was glad to see more of gabriel and ivy, but i wish there was more focus on them. they actually interest me much more than bethany or xavier, which is slightly unfortunate since bethany and xavier are the core of the story. and getting a glimpse of michael in all of his warrior angel glory was pretty freaking awesome. also not sure how i feel about astral projection, but hey, why not?

and surprise, surprise, another cliffhanger ending. knowing me, i will likely read the final book in the trilogy, slightly begrudgingly, but i'll still read it, because i'm just that girl.

oh, and is it just me, or did anyone else think that the setting of halo was in australia (where the author is from)? georgia just seems out of left field for me, or maybe i just wasn't paying close enough attention the first time around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hades.