Amanda Ainge's Reviews > Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter

Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter by Lisa Patton

Oct 13, 2011

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in October, 2011

I was initially drawn to this book because it was partially set in Memphis, and there seem to be so few books set in my home town. Yay Memphis! I loved that i knew most of the places that she mentioned. I totally got the main character- I grew up in Memphis and then lived in the cold weather for a few years, not Vermont cold, but still...I hate snow and being cold. Plus, the premise sounded fun and I was excited to read it.

I did enjoy the book. I didn't get the "extreme pampered princess vibe" about the main character like some of the other reviewers did. I liked her character, maybe because I get southern women a little more, seeing as I am one. Not that all southern women are doormats like Leelee is in the beginning.

I think the book has good plot lines, interesting characters, and fun tidbits of northern trivia. My only problem was that it was a little slow moving, not that I'd change much, but for a stay at home mom that has to constantly put a book down and hours later pick it back up, it was a little slow. It took a while for the story to get going.

I'd still recommend it as a fun, easy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter.