Beccie's Reviews > Coexist

Coexist by Julia Crane

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

I received “Coexist” from Julia for review. I’ve never been drawn to elf stories but this one caught my attention. I like the beautiful and bright cover; it’s very ‘elfish’. From the start I thought this was an adult romance because immediately I could feel the romantic tension between Rourk and Keegan. It wasn’t until I learned their ages and the fact that they hadn’t yet met that I realized the story is actually a young adult romance. One of the first things I enjoyed about the book was that the character’s names where different yet I could pronounce them. I also really enjoyed that Julia didn’t just write from one character’s perspective. I got to visualize the story from all the character’s eyes. Even though the main story line is that of Rourk and Keegan’s destined relationship, I enjoyed that Keegan’s brother Thaddeus was an important part of the story. Thaddeus and Rourk are very appealing characters, despite their youth they are both mature and protective. Keegan’s character was immature at times but once she meets Rourk I thought he was a great balance for her. Although “Coexist” features elves, shape shifters (which was a surprise), and other nonhuman characters, the story read like any regular family saga. I actually enjoyed the simplicity that Julia created for this magical world. There was nothing too unbelievable that often forces me away from elf or fairy stories. The ending was a cliff hanger but it had me remembering the end of “Tiger’s Quest” by Colleen Houck. I couldn’t help but feel like I had already read the ending scenario before. I give “Coexist” 4/5 stars. I can’t wait to read the next book and hopefully Rourk and Keegan’s paths will go the direction I want them to.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coexist.