Michelle's Reviews > Outside the Lines

Outside the Lines by Amy Hatvany

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011, contemporary-fiction, arc
Read from October 12 to 16, 2011

Another book by Amy Hatvany tackling a tough subject - something she does extraordinarily well. This book is about a young woman and her mentally ill, homeless father. It shifts narratives and time periods, two things that are hard to pull off and can easily detract from the narrative. But in Outside the Lines this structure is critical. Without glimpses into young Eden I would not have been bawling my eyes out 20 pages in.

The author does justice to the incredibly complicated child-parent relationships. The triangle between a confused Eden and her ill father and (understandably) bitter and harried mother is both subtle and brilliant, not to mention heart-wrenching. And the present day relationship (or lack thereof) between Eden and each of her parents is another brilliant part of the book. She comes from a place of complete love. She’s not mad at her father, she just wants to help him. And I was shocked (in a good way) by her strong adult relationship with her mother. This was uniquely presented because I think most authors would go with a protagonist closed off to one or both parents (and in fact real life would go with this too). But you can still see the little girl in the grown up woman's actions/relationships/etc. it's just perfectly pulled together.

I’d love to write about the ending – it’s so smart, very smart. A revelation almost. But I don’t want to put any spoilers here. It could’ve gone a couple of different ways and what the author chooses is absolutely true. Extremely well done.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outside the Lines.

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Wow, sounds amazing! You and Jodie are keeping my to-read shelf full. :) What else has this author written? Nothing else shows up when I click on her name here.

Michelle She wrote Best Kept Secret, too. :)

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy That one looks great too. I wonder why I've never heard of her. And she's from Seattle! I'm checking out the local author section tomorrow. :)

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Hatvany Michelle! Thanks SO much for your extremely kind review. I'm absolutely thrilled you enjoyed the book. These really were some of my favorite characters ever to write, and I was a little sad to say goodbye to them at the end...

I'm also glad with your posting this, I realized Goodreads had me with two author profiles, which is why my other novels weren't showing up! I've corrected, and they all should be linked, now. :)