Todd Russell's Reviews > The Long Walk

5198301
Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: horror, reread
Read from October 12 to 17, 2011

I'm going back through and rereading the Bachman Books trying to decide which one was Stephen King's best. This is one of the front-runners about Ray Garraty, "Maine's Own" making The Long Walk across Maine. If you walk too slow, you get a warning and too many warnings and the guards shoot you dead.

I think what keeps this from being a five star read for me--and I'm admittedly nitpicking--is that I wish King would have shown more madness from the Walkers experiencing sleep deprivation and fatigue in the final third of the book. After several days the remaining Walkers should have broken down more mentally.

This is a strong 4.5 star read, however, and highly recommended. It's intriguing how King maintains and keeps reader interest in a story with almost no flashbacks and backstory. It's all about the walk and Walkers, as it should be. And I loved how dark King painted the Mayor character. Great stuff!

At the beginning of each chapter he starts with a quote, often one from a game show host. The reality game show element of this story reminds me a lot of The Running Man, another Bachman book.

From a formatting on the Kindle perspective, there is an annoying apostrophe spacing error with each 's so it comes out looking like this this: man 's<-- instead of --> man's. Not sure what happened there, as the rest of the formatting is solid.

I loved the ending of The Long Walk. It's much darker than most King endings but in line with most of the Bachman book endings. This is one reason why King chose the Bachman pen name, so he didn't feel obligated to end things as positively. Then again if you read King's Pet Semetery that doesn't exactly end all warm and fuzzy either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Walk.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayaprakash (new)

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy Definitely one of his best, under any name. This story really got under my skin.

Bcoghill Coghill This is my first Bachman book and I have read all the King books. I always supposed that they would be second rate. I am glad to be wrong. Thanks for your review.