06erikm's Reviews > The Darkest Hour

bookshelves: book-reports
Read in October, 2011

Warriors: book 6- The Darkest Hour
by Erin Hunter Published 2004 315 pages
The intended audience of this book is Teenagers and preteens that love fantasy.
The book begins with the leader of Thunderclan, Bluestar, dying. As her deputy, Fireheart becomes the new leader of the clan. Oh by the way, these are all cats. Yes, this book is different from others. In this book, humans are called twolegs and cats talk to each other. It's an interesting subject, because you don't usually see a book with just cats and nothing else that talks. In other books, you might find a wizard or something talking to cats, but not usually just cats talking. Anyway, back to the book. The four clans of the forest have had some trouble with fires, flooding, and a pack of dogs, and now an even bigger problem emerges. Tigerstar,(the antagonist) known throughout Thunderclan for his treachary, has become the new leader of shadowclan, and wants to "unite" the forest under his rule. Fireheart, now Firestar, must make sure that he doesn't. Firestar is the protagonist, and just wants to keep the peace of the clans. Firestar discovers Tigerstars plot right when he is about to tell the rest of the clans about Tigerstar's treachary. He never gets a chance though because the gathering ends too soon. After a series of battles and other problems, Tigerstar eventually brings in Bloodclan, a band of evil cat that kill Tigerstar and try to take the forest for themselves. Firestar must then find a way to stop them. He eventually meets them in intense battle.
Those battle scenes were something I liked about this book. For example, on page 171, it says "slipping to one side, he raked his claws down Darkstripe's side, and followed up with a blow to his back leg as the dark warrior crashed past him." Another example on page 305 was this- "His claws raked along Scourge's side and he dodged a blow to his head like the one that had claimed his first life."
I also liked how well the writer uses sensory details and word choices. I found myself thinking I was in the forest stalking a mouse more than once.
I believe that one theme of this book is that a lust for power often leads to disaster. I loved this book. I could barely put it down. I spent hours sitting on the couch reading it because it was so well written and drew me in. I recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy, Or cats.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Hour.