Shannon's Reviews > The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective

The Enneagram by Richard Rohr

Dec 25, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction, faith
Read from October 12 to November 01, 2011

I read this book in conjunction with listening to Richard Rohr's audio tapes on the Enneagram and discussing them with a group. While I haven't yet read any other Enneagram books, I highly recommend this one. Rohr does a great job of explaining the history of the Enneagram and why it matters to Christians.

For me, knowing my Enneagram number has helped me understand myself better, extend grace to myself for some of my idiosyncrasies and see some of the (annoying) traits of those I love as part of who they are. I love that this book does not frame the Enneagram as a self-help tool. Quite the opposite - Rohr makes it clear that we can't fight who we are and trying to do so will only reinforce the traits that make us who we are. So if you're looking to jump start 2012 with a plan for self improvement, this is not the book for you.

If, on the other hand, you are interested in seeing how all different types of people reflect God, how you uniquely reflect Him, and simply in seeing with new eyes, this book is a great place to start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enneagram.