Candace's Reviews > The Doomsday Vault

The Doomsday Vault by Steven Harper

Oct 12, 2011

Read from October 21 to 24, 2011

This review was first posted on my blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com

Wow! This book got me all sorts of excited! It was absolutely fantabulous! {Yes, I know that's not a word.} It had amazing gadgets and a super strong steampunk aspect. And while I love steampunk {seriously, I do, I seek it out} I'm always a bit worried about how detailed it will be because I have a short attention span. This book though, this book had the very strong steampunk aspect without lengthy descriptions, at all! And while that's a good thing for me others may see that as a negative. Personally I don't need to know how everything works. I want to know what it looks like and what it can do and maybe a brief description of how it works is okay, but I don't need to know how everything works. These things may pass through my head fleetingly, but really, I was completely okay with not knowing. But like I said, others might not like that.

The characters were great! In the beginning we're getting stories from Alice's perspective and from Gavins as well. It alternates between them and we don't know how they connect. It worked fine for me and I felt like I got a good opportunity to get to know both of their back-stories this way. And got to know them more personally. Once their paths cross then it becomes mostly Alice's story, with going back to Gavin just occasionally. I thought it was all well done and was done in a way we got to get a real feel for them and their personalities. And they are both absolutely fantastic characters, I fell in love with both of them. The one issue I had, which was very minor, was that I had a hard time picturing Gavin as older. When we are introduced to him he is a cabin boy and I think hearing 'boy' maybe messed with my head. I'm not exactly sure, but he always felt a little young to me even though he never really did anything that made him seen immature or anything. I still loved him though!

This was a fast paced read with almost constant action that had me dying to know more. I found myself wanting to sit and read it and not do anything else. And I actually was so impressed with the automatons and the world that I totally went crazy describing it all to my six year old daughter. {Yeah, I was seriously excited.} And it got her so excited that she said she wants to read it when she grows up! {YAY!} So any book that gets me excited like that is definitely awesome. And as far as the gadgets and steampunk aspect goes this may be my favorite yet. I mean this world building was phenomenal! Now, I could go into telling you more about how it all works and how there's paranormal to it {there's zombies on page one!} but I don't think it's necessary and will just get me all carried away. I will say that the zombies have a scientific reason and so it was more light on the paranormal aspect {which I actually really liked!}.

This book was actually quite clean. There is some cursing, but not much. And there's violence, but you find it worse in many YA novels. And there's no sex, just some mention of sexual activity {it was quite vague} and I think that many mature young adult readers may really enjoy this book. Anyway, I loved it and I very highly recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doomsday Vault.

10/22/2011 page 200
50.0% "Loving it!!!!"

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) I really need to try Steampunk! I'm glad you loved this one, I might have to check it out.