Elyse's Reviews > The Modern Jewish Girl's Guide to Guilt

The Modern Jewish Girl's Guide to Guilt by Ruth Andrew Ellenson

Oct 20, 11

I'll read this book many times ---(pick a short story to read to a friend that I think she SHOULD read ---or MUST read).....

Every Woman ---(Jewish ir not)---will find 'something' to relate to in this book.---

I've got to share about this morning ---when I was reading one of the stories to my husband --AND his employees ---(over the phone---on SPEAKER phone). About 4 people were listening to me read them a page in the book where I was DYING laughing....
(laughing sooooooooooooooo hard I almost could not get out the words).

The story was about a 30ish year old woman who got a private caller ID phone to help keep her mother at bay. Of course Lori, (the daughter --Perfect of course---never calls her mother enough --and avoids her mothers calls as much as possible). Lori's brother (Lori calls him a 30ish year old mama's boy)-- does NOT avoid his mothers calls... (the perfect son).

Anyway---the funny page this morning on that speaker phone was about a conversation with Lori and her mother. (yes, even with caller ID --she talked with her mother sometimes). ---

Mom told Lori she went to a cemetery --a new one in town--just lovely--(everyone is giving it wonderful reviews)-- so she bought a plot for herself and Lori's dad.
Oh--and she bought a plot for Lori's brother...(and Brad is young and healthy as a horse)

Lori said....."why'd you get one for Brad and not me"?
Mom said...."we didn't think you'd want one. You're always avoiding family occasions."

"This isn't a family occasion!" I say incredulously. "I don't want to be a homeless dead person! What if I am all alone?

"You won't be alone, mom says. just don't be so picky with men.

Suddendly it hits her...Lori is left 'plot-less' --so she will go out and marry the next guy that asks, just so she'll have a burial partner.

So...She asks her momn..." I should get hitched as insurance for the afterlife"?

Mom says..."well, I wouldn't put it like that, but you know what they say: Happily ever after"

GREAT GEM of a book!!!

To die laughing..........(and enjoy with your friends)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Modern Jewish Girl's Guide to Guilt.