Kasey's Reviews > Into the Wild

1900807
Oct 12, 2011

liked it
Read in October, 2011

I absolutely loved this movie, so I expected the book would be even better. It was enjoyable, but I was surprised to find that it includes several different stories of people who challenged the wilderness. The only case in which I can say it is a good book, but a fantastic movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.

Quotes Kasey Liked

Jon Krakauer
“make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservation, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. If you want to get more out of life, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty.”

Jon Krakauer
“You are wrong if you think Joy emanates only or principally from human relationships. God has placed it all around us. It is in everything and anything we might experience. We just have to have the courage to turn against our habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living.”

Jon Krakauer
“When you forgive, you love. And when you love, God’s light shines upon you.”

Jon Krakauer
“Mr. Franz, I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one.”

Jon Krakauer
“The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.”