Macy (It's a Book Thing)'s Reviews > Bittersweet

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: owned, 2012-favorites
Read from April 08 to 25, 2012

More of my reviews at http://itisabookthing.blogspot.com/

OVERALL:
Plot-19/20
Characters-18/20
Creativity-19/20
Writing-19/20
Pace-10/10
Ending-9/10
=94/100 A
★★★★★/5

REViEW:
Cupcakes and ice-skating, what could be better? I tore through this book like a sugar addiction. (Sorry that was a lame pun, but I tried.) Seeing that I have been taking figure-skating lessons, I really enjoyed having skating as a central idea to the plot. For all those people who don't like sports out there, don't worry. This book didn't center completely on skating or hockey. Instead, it was just a great contemporary novel that had every aspect of realism. Even though it was nearing 400 pages, this book was so intriguing that I finished it pretty quickly, enjoying every minute of it.

The characters in Bittersweet were great. Hudson, the main protagonist, was fairly likable. Sure she did some things (like abandoning her best friend) that ticked me off, but they did seem realistic for this plot line. Dani was a great best friend. She reminded me of my bff. The guys on the hockey time, whom Hudson has to help coach, were so great. They all had distinct guy-ish personalities. They seemed like the array of personalities that would be on a hockey team. Will was the popular, cool, captain of hockey team guy. He seemed to be shallow at first, but I think there's much more to him. On the other hand, Josh was the ultimate guy in this novel for me. He was sweet and enjoyable. The one big criticism I had for this book was how the romance occurred. It wasn't anything new. Just the usual girl meets boy. Girl meets another boy. Girl thinks guy 2 has a girlfriend. Girl ends up with wrong guy.

The ending was pretty good. A little bit on the cliche side, but I was satisfied. I think I like the way everything turned out. It was a very easy book to read, and the ending just added to the easy, happy go lucky feel of the book. All in all, I liked it. A few things made me think "what was she thinking?" but overall I really enjoyed reading this book, and it is now a favorite of mine.

My Favorite Part: The cupcake recipes that were the chapter titles! Too cute!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.

Quotes Macy (It's a Book Thing) Liked

Sarah Ockler
“Would 'sorry' have made any difference? Does it ever? It's just a word. One word against a thousand actions.”
Sarah Ockler, Bittersweet